Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our Family Story Book

Last week Jane found some pictures of Rob and I on our wedding day.  She followed me around for the next 3 hours and asked me to "tell her the story" at least 20 times.  I started out with the basics, and then I started adding in the next details in "the story" like Jane and Max being born.  It gave me the idea for this project.

Our family story book is just a 3-ring binder filled with page protectors.  I printed off some black and white photos (when the kids are older and not prone to destruction I will print off full color photos).  I cut them out and pasted them to colorful cardstock.  I had the kids color and decorate the pages with stickers. 
 

Then I wrote in the story.  Right now it is very simple for short attention spans, but it can get more and more in depth as our family grows.  I included Rob and I meeting, getting married, all the different places we've lived, graduation and births.  You can include whatever you feel is important in your story.
If I could change one thing, I would have used lighter cardstock.  The crayon didn't show up well on these darker colors and the kids quickly lost interest in coloring.

Right now, it is fun to have a "story" all about our family, and looking at all the blank pages waiting to be filled makes me excited to see what the future holds.

Every family has a story.  How do you tell your children their "family story"?  What events would you include?

No comments:

Post a Comment