Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Avoiding Mommy-Mushy Brain - Part 1

Let's face it.  A lot of what we do as mother's seems to be a never-ending cycle of laundry, dishes, changing diapers, cooking, and telling your toddler for the five billionth time that the toilet is not a toy!  Because of this, being a homemaker has earned a reputation for being excruciatingly mind numbing,  It doesn't have to be that way though.  Just think how much more freedom you have to pursue any areas of knowledge you wish.  It may take some effort, but I can tell you it is well worth it.

You may or may not have finished college, gone on for advanced degrees or had a successful career, but there is always something to learn, you just can't lose your curiosity.  You can read lots about parenting and other things that pertain to your career as a homemaker, but you are not bound to that!  Learn, explore, try something new.  I am going to write a few posts about how to not only combat Mommy-mushy brain, but really nurture and grow that mind of yours!

My first idea for you is to memorize poetry, important speeches, or famous quotes.  I like the idea of memorizing rather than just writing them down in a folder because then those words are right there in your brain for you to mull over and contemplate at any time.

In honor of Valentine's Day I chose Seamus Heany's poem "Scaffolding".  I bought some window crayons and wrote the poem on the window in my kitchen.  Every time I was cooking or cleaning in there, I would glance at the window and read this beautiful poem.  I had it memorized within a week. 

You can do this too!  Choose a poem or famous speech or whatever you wish to memorize and write it somewhere where you will see it often.  Read it as often as possible and soon you will have it down.  Just think of all the beautiful things you can have stored in your mind to pull out when you need encouragement or beauty.  The beauty can be inside you!

No comments:

Post a Comment