Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The problem with reading to your kids when they love books

Today I tried to sit down and do storytime with the kids. It went something like this.

*Open up THE RUNAWAY BUNNY*  Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.
*Tommy climbs up into my lap with HIS favorite book. ITSY BITSY SPIDER.*
So he said to his mother, "I am running away."
*Tommy screams and waves the book in front of my face until I give in.* "Okay Jane. Hold on. Let me read this really quick." *Stick my finger in the spider puppet and sing* The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the rain and--
"Can you start over?" Jane asks. "I missed the first page."
*Go back to the beginning. Start over* The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout.
*Finish that book but don't take finger out of the spider because Tommy wants to bite it. Go back to THE RUNAWAY BUNNY.* If you run away, said his mother, "I will run after you. For you are my little bunny.
*Turn the page and sing the first line of ITSY BITSY SPIDER to Tommy while Jane looks at the picture. Let finger take a break from being bit inside the spider puppet until Tommy starts yelling again.*
"If you run after me," said the little bunny, "I will become a fish in a trout stream and I will swim away from you."
*Max runs in from whatever he'd been doing when I called him to come to storytime.* "Can you start over?"
Sigh.
Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.
*Tommy starts screaming and waving ITSY BITSY SPIDER again because it's time for his next reading.*
"Okay, hold on guys." The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the rain and--
"Can you start over?"


No comments:

Post a Comment