Thursday, December 13, 2012

Let it go...Christmas won't be perfect.

I recently saw some people on a forum saying that they love Christmas but they hate the stress. They don't like the stress of buying the perfect present and hosting the family get-together, and all the baking and cooking, and in general trying to make everything perfect and magical for the kids.

If you are looking to create or have the perfect Christmas you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Who's to say what's perfect anyway?


 Today the kids and I made Santa hats out of construction paper, cotton balls, and as you can see from this picture...lots of glue.
Yeah, okay, nobody's project ended up looking like a Santa hat.




But we did get a real nice Cumulus cloud going over here.


This isn't my first try at a Christmas project that didn't go as planned. I plan lots of things and want them to be just as I envision them and they rarely are.  Are you like me?

You may be like me, and envision a fun day of sledding, only to have it end after three minutes because one kid got snow on their chin and the other refused to wear gloves. If you are like me, you swore you were NEVER GOING SLEDDING AGAIN!  If your kids are like mine, the next day they were both talking about it like it had been fun and want to go again.

Or maybe you envision handing out neighbor gifts and singing a spiritual carol at the door, but the only thing your kids will sing is "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

Or maybe you are trying to make Santa hats and just get a mountain of cotton balls. But in the end my kids didn't look at their project in disappointment. They'd had a blast.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things ARE NOT going to be perfect, and like Clark Griswald, we've got to stop expecting it and setting ourselves up for failure. The thing is, Christmas is magical for kids with very little effort. They will enjoy anything you try, even if it is a complete failure. Just don't react like I did with the sledding and swear to never go again. Chances are your kids didn't think it was a failure at all.

1 comment:

  1. This post reminded me of a testimony I heard this last fast Sunday. A woman only weeks away from having her baby was talking about how Christmastime is such a special time to be expecting and how she kept thinking back to that "first Christmas" whent the Savior was born and nothing was perfect that night. She said it made her want to worry less about having the perfect Christmas, because even that one wasn't and it was the most important one. I thought it was pretty neat. Thanks for your posts. I enjoy them a lot. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete