**The original recipes can be found at allrecipes.com and simplebites.net, respectively.
Whole Wheat Applesauce Pancakes
- Place the rolled oats into the jar of a blender and blend until the texture resembles coarse flour. Whisk together the blended oats, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinammon, dry milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir in the applesauce. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Let the batter stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the griddle, and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip, and cook until browned on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 1/2 cup demerera sugar (or brown)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- In a small pot, whisk together sugar, molasses, water, and cinnamon over medium heat.
- Bring to a slow boil and continue stirring until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Cool slightly. Transfer to a jug for serving or a glass jar for storing.