1. Everyone is sympathetic, even the villains, when you take the time to learn their back story.
2. A good life, like all good stories, requires the main character to further the plot by their own choices. Always be acting, not just reacting.
3. It's boring without dialogue. Look up from your phone and interact with the other characters in the room.
4. Change is good. A satisfactory character arc requires it. But that doesn't mean the middle part isn't muddy with the ending unclear.
5. The dark night, when it feels like all is lost, always comes before the moment when the hero picks up his sword and fights back.
6. Not all endings are happy. Sometimes the saddest ones leave lessons that last longest.
7. The worst antagonists are the ones you can't see. Those without physical form that don't die by the sword.
8. Perfect people do not make interesting characters or stories.
9. Words are meaningless without action. Show, don't just tell.
10. All good stories require goals and obstacles. Do not curse your obstacles and make sure you always have a goal.