Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Getting the Most Out of Your Library

We love the library at this house. We, of course, love all the fun picture books, the alphabet books, the number books. But it wasn't until recently that I realized there were so many different kinds of picture books that would help supplement my children's education.  I'm going to let you in on some of the neat books you can get at the library. I try to get at least of few of these kind of books to introduce new things to my children each week.

Biographical Picture Books - Our children's section has an entire section of children's biographical picture books. Most are a little long for my kids, but in a few years they will be perfect for introducing characters and events from history. I try to get something off this shelf every week. Here are some good ones that we have enjoyed recently.
Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His DreamUncommon Traveler: Mary Kingsley in Africa

Non-fiction books about animals - For my kids age, we check out the easy-reading ones with just a few, informative sentences on each page. Just think if you read one of these books every week, how much your children would learn!

Illustrated Classic Poetry - These books are classic poems by the great poets with beautiful illustrations. They are a great way to introduce your kids to some of the great works. This week we are reading Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. My kids love it, and the nonsense words make perfect sense to them when Mommy reads it just right.
   JabberwockyWhen I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer (Golden Kite Honors)

Books that explore other cultures - These come in non-fiction and fiction. It is a great way to shine a light on our differences and similarities. Here are a few to get you started that we love.

Same, Same But Different   Apple Pie Fourth of July
One Child, One Seed: A South African Counting Book

Science Books - These can range from Biology to Chemistry to Physics to Ecology. They can range from explaining scientific concepts, giving experiment ideas, to exploring the purposes of bubbles.  These books are not the boring encyclopedias that we usually  associate with this genre. Check out these titles!

Bugs and Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter  Bubble Homes and Fish Farts (Junior Library Guild Selection (Charlesbridge Paper))



There is a book on just about anything you can think of. If you are looking for it, ask your children's librarian for help. They are your number one resource. I have known so many librarians who, when I ask for books about apples, or eyes, or cows, or whatever, say "just a minute" and then come back five minutes later loaded to the gills with books featuring whatever it was I asked for. Usually far more than came up when I simply searched the term in the library database.

What kinds of books do you make an effort to check out on a regular basis?

1 comment:

  1. I love asking the librarian...especially the children's librarian. Cool discovery - did you ever go to the clubhouse for story time? I think they just did it the one year in the summer. Anyway, that same lady is the librarian over here where I live now and she learns the kids' names. She'll see my little CB and go find train books for him or this other boy when they walk in. I LOVE the library!

    As a busy mom, my favorite thing to do is reserve the books online and then be able to grab the stack they've set aside for me and check out.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete