Saturday, September 10, 2011

Making a Good Impression with the Neighbors

Well, yesterday was exciting and scary all at the same time. The kids were playin upstairs. Unbeknownst to me, Rob had opened a window in our room from the bottom, which is a no-no because the windows are so low to the ground. Luckily, this window was right above our addition and just led out to the flat roof. Miss J reached and lifted up the screen, and apparently Harry (our dog) jumped out, onto the roof. This sent Miss J into hysterics (thankfully, can you imagine if she had thought to join him?). I went to investigate and found Harry prancing around on our roof, happy as a lark and Jane crying "Harry, come inside, Harry!"

I also started trying to get Harry to come back inside, but he was having way too much fun. I was about to climb onto the roof myself when Little Man toddled in to see what all the commotion was about. Not wanting him to follow me I put him up on my bed. Right then, Harry decided to walk by the window. I grabbed his collar and dragged him in.

Little Man at that moment was, of course, trying to get off the bed. His socked feet slipped on the hardwood floor and his chin smashed into the wood frame of our bed. I turned around and Little Man was bleeding...a lot. I ran him into the bathroom to clean him off and get a look at the damage, but there was too much blood, I could tell it was coming from his tongue but that was all.

I made the decision right then to take him to Rob's office to get a better look. As we were rushing out the door, I saw that there was a huge gash in his tongue, which of course made me hysterical. Five minutes after the dog is on the roof, I am rushing Miss J out the door, holding a bleeding Little Man. Everyone is screaming and crying and of course, both children are pantless! I can only imagine what the neighbors are thinking.

By the time we got to Rob's office Little Man had calmed down. Rob took a look, and it was a big gash, but it hadn't gone through the tongue. The nurse at the pediatrician's office said there isn't much to do for a tongue wound except wait for it to heal and apply popsicles. So that is what we are doing. Little Man is ok, but not sleeping great (on top of a sore tongue he is getting his canines in). I feel like this could have been so much worse that we are counting our blessings!

1 comment: